Old  

Farm

  

is  

a  

collection  

of  

farm  

buildings  

dating  

back  

to  

1345.  

It  

was  

originally  

built  

and  

owned  

by  

the  

monks  

of

Glastonbury  

Abbey  

and  

used  

as  

a  

resting  

place  

for  

pilgrims  

travelling  

to  

the  

Abbey.  

It  

is  

remarkable  

to  

think  

that  

over

30 kings and queens have reigned during the lifetime of these buildings.

Originally  

a  

working  

farm  

producing  

Cheese  

and  

Cider,  

in  

the  

mid  

1900’s  

the  

farm  

fell  

into  

disrepair  

and  

ultimately

was  

placed  

on  

English  

Heritages  

‘Buildings  

at  

Risk’  

register  

where  

it  

stayed  

until  

we  

bought  

the  

‘shell’  

of  

Old  

Farm  

in

2006.

Around  

about  

the  

same  

time  

it  

was  

classified  

as  

a  

2*  

Listed  

Building  

putting  

it  

in  

the  

top  

5%  

of  

all  

listed  

buildings

in England.

Through  

much  

time,  

labour,  

love  

and  

sheer  

hard  

work  

the  

farm  

has  

been  

restored  

to  

its  

former  

glory.  

It  

was  

vitally

important  

to  

retain  

the  

materials  

and  

sense  

of  

history  

in  

these  

buildings  

and  

with  

the  

help  

and  

advice  

of  

Mendip

District  

Council  

and  

English  

Heritage  

we  

think  

we  

have  

achieved  

that.  

We  

hope  

that  

we  

have  

given  

these  

buildings  

a

new ‘reason to be’ in the 21st century and beyond.

Old  

farm  

stands  

in  

10  

acres  

of  

land  

benefiting  

from  

fantastic  

views  

of  

Glastonbury  

Tor  

and  

has  

a  

real  

sense  

of  

history

and wonder.

Last Updated 22/08/2016
Old Farm Traditional Farm Cottages